By the iconic Johnson & Johnson.
A few moths ago I promised myself not to ‘bag’ chemical based skin care products. Rather than be negative, I would be positive and highlight the irrefutable benefits of skin care and cosmetics that do not contain dangerous chemicals.
But then along came the advertising campaign for Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion!
It looks impressive. Oats may well be wonderful for skin care. There is a big statement in the TV advertising promising improvement in skin quality in a day and then a bigger improvement in a week.
On the free sachet I received, the product claims to be ‘Clinically proven to relieve dry skin and moisturise for a full 24 hours’ I need to point out, there are no official definitions for ‘clinically proven’. There may have been in house studies, but no independent advise.
But lets take a closer look at the ingredients.
As usual, water is listed first. Glycerin is next. I have explained in other reports that glycerin draws moisture from the deeper layers of the skin, particularly in humidity below 65%. It is held on the surface of the skin to give a ‘plumping’ feel by a silicone or mineral oil.
In the case of Aveeno, both Dimethicone, a silicone known to cause tumors in laboratory animals as well as “Paraffinum Liquidum” … a posh way of listing mineral oils! … are included. From the petro-chemical industry, mineral oils are used as a barrier to seal the drawn moisture to the surface of the skin.
Both these ingredients would well and truly seal the skin for 24 hours. It would not he able to breathe or eliminate toxins, either.
Would you apply crude oils to your skin?!
The second on the list, Distearyldimonim Chloride is a positively charged surfactant, so it does not completely rinse off. The build up of the product gives a smooth feel, but it coats like plastic wrap.
It has not been tested for safety by any governing body. There are data gaps but from some sources, it appears that concentrations as low as 0.01% are irritating to the eye and mucous membranes. It is a teratogen (causes birth defects) in rats when administered orally, but not on the skin. Conditions that favour rapid absorption from the skin might be expected to increase the risk of birth defects.
This chemical is in the range of chemicals known as Quaternary Ammonium Compounds or “Quats” They release formaldehyde, a known carcinogen! In fact, finally, the US FDA has now recognized and advised of the dangers of formaldehyde.
Why is this ingredient included in a lotion promoted for daily use?!
If we consider the chemists’ rule of thumb, the first 3 to 4 ingredients on the list make up 90% to 95% of the entire product. The oats, claimed as the ‘ACTIVE NATURALS’ in this product are way down the list, just before another paraffin, some where in the other 5% to 10% of the lotion.
There are 4 alcohols in this product. Benzyl Alcohol, to name one, is irritating and corrosive to the skin and mucous membranes.
Please carefully consider the ingredients in this lotion before you apply it to your skin.
A better option would be a moisturiser that is certified organic to food standards. There are absolutely no synthetic chemicals here! Just pure, beneficial ingredients.